Thursday, July 23, 2015

April/May Books.




The Mystery of the Russian Ransom by Roy MacGregor - This was yet again another walk down memory lane. I actually really enjoyed this book considering the target audience is 8-12 year olds. I found it interesting and I actually did not predict the twist.

The Choice by Nicholas Sparks - This book is becoming a movie next year and I am all about reading books before I see the movie. Unlike the Best of Me where I hated the ending and therefore have yet to see the movie, I kind of loved this. It really is that feel good movie. It is one of those when two people are just meant to be together kind of books and then the unexpected. I loved it. I cannot wait for the movie.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - This was another book club book and I am so glad it was. I had been wanting to read it for a while (again before I saw the movie), and it gave me a great excuse. The opinions in book club were mixed, some could not figure out how two people can be so physiologically messed up. I for one kind of loved it, but hated the ending. I wanted more, but I am kind of hoping for a sequel.

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery - I do not know how I made it almost to 30 before reading this book, but thankfully for my class in material for older children I was able to dig into it. It was more a conglomeration of short stories, and it was not until tragedy strikes in the end that I realize just how invested I was in the book.

The Babysitters Club - Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls- by Ann M. Martin - I kind of loved this book. They seemed like books I would have enjoyed as a kid if I ever found time to read or had an interest. I liked them because each of the girls in the Babysitters club had a different personality and would be relatable to a wide range of young girls.

The Year of Billy Miller by Kevin Henkes - This is a first chapter book, so it is aimed at those just beginning to read beyond picture books. It is an award winner and I personally enjoyed it because it also seemed very relatable. It was everyday life for a young student and involved the fears and events that they would all encounter.

Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary - I had high expectations for the book, while it was cute, it was not what I was anticipating. It almost seemed more like a bunch of short stories. They were cute stories and enjoyable to read. I however wish I had read the first in the series, Ramona and Besus and I might have enjoyed this one more.

Are you there God? It's me, Margaret by Judy Blume - I kind of loved this book and wish all 10-13 year old girls read it. This book is so real and everyday life for young girls. It is such a coming of age novel that touches on things that seem scary and no one ever really talks about. It makes puberty seem normal, almost even something to be praised, where it isn't always that case. If I had this book when I was that age i feel like life would have been a lot easier, or at least seemed a lot more normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment