Tuesday, May 24, 2016

A Year of Books (almost).


So I got behind in posting what I was reading. I had already written about a number of books I had read, and just never got around to posting. So here is a list of books read between June 2015 and April 2016.

So for June to August, a lot of my books were read as a part of a course I was taking, materials for older children. After that between September and December, I was driving about 15 plus hours a week and therefore I was getting a lot of audiobooks done. Since then I have had a lot less driving time and a lot less free time so a number of my books have been required reading for different book clubs.

The Screech Owls Norther Adventure by Roy MacGregor - This was a reread for class. I love the Screech Owls. I highly recommend for any sports fans, girls or boys in that 8-12 age group. I love that as a kid I was able to travel the world in their books and a lot of the facts stuck with me. For example there is one that takes place in London England and they visit the Tower of London, most of my 'fun facts' I had when we went there were from the Screech Owls.

Mystery at Lake Placid by Roy MacGregor - This is the first in the series and far and away my favourite. It is what made me fall in love with the books. So again if you are in that age range of 8-12 or have kids that are, I give them two thumbs up.

Slake's Limbo: 121 Days by Felice Holman - This was another book from my Material for Older Children class that had to be read. It was about a boy who lived in a NYC subway for 121 days. It was ok, not awesome, but ok. It was a story of survival and how her managed to survive living there.

The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford - I loved this book. Again for that 8-12 reader, maybe even a bit older, but I loved it. I remember watching the movie Homeward Bound as a kid. At first I did not anticipate enjoying it, the concept is these two dogs and a cat go on an 'Incredible Journey' to make their way to their owner. It was not until you are left wondering if the cat is dead and I got all emotional, I may have threatened to stop reading if they killed the cat, that I realized how much I was truly loving the book.

The Thirteen Tale by  - This book was for book club in June. It was never ever a book I would have picked up myself, however I found it interesting, engaging and the kind of book that made you want to find out what happened. It was a book of two plots at once, a present day and a past which was told by a famous author who was telling her life story for a biography. The twists and turns were those that you never anticipated and I actually really enjoyed it. I liked it to the point that since I have suggested it twice to patrons at the library.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick - If you want to see a book trailer for it check it out here

Always On My Mind by Jill Shalvis - This was my first romance that was not by Susan Mallery. I liked how light it was, but this one brought in a bit of mystery which was a nice twist. However it had a bit more graphic content then I would like.

The Girls of Mischief Bay by Susan Mallery - I love Susan Mallery's Fools Gold series, this is my first read that was not one of them and it was ok. It was a light read, however I feel like I was not invested in the characters as with her other books.

Only Yours by Susan Mallery - Another Fools Gold book by Susan Mallery, I like them all. The classic predicatable romance book.

The Unraveling of Mercy Louis by Keija Parssinen - This was a bookclub book. This was horrible. I feel like I wasted my money on this book and I am frustrated by that because I NEVER buy books.
Room by Emma Donoghue - This book was great. It was a kind of creepy if you think about it too much, but it really is a well thought out and good book.

The Christmas Wedding Ring by Susan Mallery - I was not in love with this book. Again I felt not as connected with the characters or the story.

Only His by Susan Mallery - Another Fools Gold book.

Hold Me by Susan Mallery - Again, another fools gold book.

When we Met by Susan Mallery - A Fools Gold book.

Three Little Words by Susan Mallery - This was the last Fools Gold audiobook the library had. I enjoyed the series a lot especially because it was not required to be read in order, however I enjoy being kept up to date with what is happening with characters.

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith - This book was actually great. It was read on recommendation and it was one that kept you reading and interested. I enjoyed how it had a bit of everything.

The Martian by Andy Weir - Epically awesome! I LOVED this book. I had never read a sci-fi before and I am so glad this was my favourite one. It was SO good. It was funny and interesting and just so good. I enjoyed that you did not need to know exactly what it was talking about in terms of technical jargon in order to enjoy the book. We also saw the movie after and it was good, just not nearly as good.

The First Affair by Emma McLaughlin - Somewhat unforgettable, somewhat reminded me of the Monica Louinski scandal that I was kind of too young to actually know anything about at the time.

The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks - So good. Another book I had to read before seeing the movie. Unlike the Best of Me being a HUGE let down, I figured I would give Nicholas Sparks another try. I am glad I did because I loved the two interconnected stories.

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel - We just finished this for book club at the library and I was hugely disappointed. I felt like it was a book that dragged on and went into unnecessary detail and then there was the ending. This book blew my mind and not in a good way come the end, to the point that I am almost not even sure if I am happy I kept reading.

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes - This is one of those books that you fall in love with. Someone asked me while I was reading it what it was about and I actually had to say 'I have no idea, but I am loving it'. It took me a while to understand where the book was going. But it is a great love story.

After you by Jojo Moyes - At first I did not want to read this book. I did not want the previous story to have ended the way that it did, and I was very bitter. However, after reading this it all made me feel so much better. It took a while to get through and by no means did I fall in love like I did the first one, but all the same, it was needed and wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment